Los refranes, modismos y las frases idiomáticas existen por doquier en el idioma inglés, al igual que en todos los idiomas. Aquí te traemos una lista de ellos, separados por tema, para que aprendas a usarlos y enriquezcas tu manera de expresarte en este idioma anglosajón.
Cuando termines de leer los refranes puedes intentar el siguiente ejercicio. Completa las oraciones con uno de los refranes y expresiones idiomáticas, elige el que consideres que mejor se adapta a la situación y luego verifica tus resultados.
1) Mark and Jenny are so alike; they are always relaxed, they both love music, ice-cream, video games and going out. You know what they say _ _ _Birds of a feather flock togetherHe is a bookwormAs busy as a bee
2) Phil cannot live without his books. He's a _ _ _To eat like a horseHe is a bookwormTo be a copycat
3) I have been _ _ _ these days. I've done a lot of work and I still have so much more to do.You can't teach an old dog new tricksLet sleeping dogs lieAs busy as a bee.
4) The general manager of the company has been away these past few weeks and everything is upside down. Nobody wants to work and we are wasting so much time. As the saying goes _ _ _To kill to birds with oneWhile the cat's away, the mice will play.To be a bird-brain
5) _ _ _ Don't make a decision with such hurry. You need to slow it down and think better about it.Hold your horses!Birds of a feather flock togetherA bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
6) You're really hungry, aren’t you? You’re _ _ _You’re eating like a horse!To be as free as a bird Let sleeping dogs lie
7) My dog is always the _ _ _ . My little brother always blames him for everything that is broken in the house.Never look a gift horse in the mouthTo be a Trojan horseThe scapegoat
8) My poor grandmother is 98 and she is _ _ _. She can't see almost anything.Hold your horses!To be eagle-eyedAs blind as a bat.
9) If you feel too tired, you can have _ _ _ there in the chair. I promise I will be silent.To be a bookwormA catnap.A scapegoat
10) My father is not a mean man, he just has a bad character, but in the end, he can be really generous. You know what they say _ _ _The donkey-workA cat has nine livesBarking dogs never bite.